When there's nothing left but skinned raw nerves~
this is the place to put it.

Friday, August 8, 2008


To Da Bone.....




Another one 'outted'. This should come as no surprise, but so help me, it does. I personally believed this guy was on the up-and-up when it came to his devotion to his family, his wife- and his word-- but this time, we not only have another fella' who couldn't keep it in his pants, we have one who gave into his impulses while his wife was having a very public battle with cancer. How sleazy is that?

I remember the way the world reacted to America's horror over the Clinton debacle, and realize we're seen as ridiculously naive and puritanical, but with Clinton, we knew the man we elected had affairs before he took office, so when he was found still chasing skirt in the oval office and people were scandalized, that did seem a bit silly. But Edwards' devotion to his ailing wife and his public portrayal of a devoted husband appeared totally sincere; he was very public about that, and that's why this one is more heinous than most. It's the lying when you don't expect it, that's the ugliness in this story... much more than the affair itself.

With Clinton, I think we all knew he was probably getting away with something- because he'd done it before. But with Edwards, it's the betrayal way over and above the norm. It's cruelty and callousness in the extreme, and I say we write this Puckish choirboy off for good. I know I have. This one's a real rat- because he appears to be a sweet little gerbil, and that's a dangerous combination.

And think about this for a moment: what is 'character'?

If you can't trust a man will not lie to his wife and children, how can you trust him in other matters? This seems like a very simple concept to me. It may not be worldly or cosmopolitan, but it reads right as rain to these two eyes. Perhaps it's true that politics are dirty, and only dirty men succeed at it (as was pointed out to me today} and we shouldn't be shocked by any of this. But I am.

And I'm glad I am. Means there's something inside more than a jaundiced eye. Means there's hope. Means there's still the possibility for a truly upright person to come along and do the right thing all the time-- no matter who is watching.